- Number of days required: Though state law stipulates a 180-day school year for public and private schools, no requirement exists for church schools. We have elected to leave this to the discretion of the parent/teacher. However, since you are required to maintain an attendance record listing all absences, we do recommend that you establish an attendance policy. We recommend 160 days not counting sick days or teacher days.
- Progress reports and Attendance: Although not mandated by law, this is a valuable accountability tool that will assist you in keeping meaningful records of your child’s education, especially during the high school years. We request a general plan at the beginning of the school year for first year homeschoolers. Help with curriculum is available. Progress reports for all students are due on the 15th of January for first semester and June 15 for second semester. Reports not received by the 30th could prevent reenrollment or result in disenrollment. In any case a $30 fee will be assessed, to allow continued enrollment. Students who are enrolled in Excalibur-Online will not need to submit Progress Reports except for credits that are pursued outside the online curriculum.
- Diplomas: Excalibur issues high school diplomas to those who have completed at least their senior year in its program. State requirements are the basis for this diploma and are available from the Registrar.
- School year: Our academic school year begins August 1 and ends May 31. You may continue to educate in June and July. Simply submit additional Progress Reports to substantiate work done. Enrollment is open year round.
- Changing schools: The law requires us to notify the local public school administration if there is any change in a child’s enrollment status. Therefore, you are required to officially withdraw from Excalibur Christian School if your child changes schools during the period of enrollment. A verbal statement to a staff member does not meet this requirement. An email or letter is sufficient if delivery is assured.
Statement of Agreement
We agree to the following:
- We are solely responsible for the choice and purchase of curriculum.
- We will submit attendance/progress reports by the 15th day of January and of June.
- We will maintain student files for each child containing progress reports and attendance records.
- We release Excalibur school administrators and representatives from all responsibility for and liability resulting from the education and social and physical wellbeing of our children.
- We agree that our continued enrollment in Excalibur is a privilege and may be discontinued at the discretion of the administrator of Excalibur.
- We will officially withdraw any child from Excalibur if we wish to change schools.